Sony PSP can be used as a portable Video Player
The Sony Play Station Portable was designed to play movies and games using Sony's proprietary format, the UMD, a miniature disc. The PSP is very portable, has a 4.3 inch LCD screen, and uses 4-6+ hour batteries that are easily changed for very long periods of use.
Happily, over time the PSP has evolved into an even better, movie and TV-show player. This has happened because:
1. Sony has upgraded and made available for free, the system software that allows more common types of video files to be displayed from a users own memory stick rather than a UMD;
2. Memory sticks have grown far bigger and far cheaper;
3. Free, reliable and easy to use software, to convert video files has been developed;
4. Personal computers have become available with dual and quad core cpu's that can encode files super fast.
Here is the method I use to get and watch shows on my PSP.
First the one-time steps:
1. Download the latest Sony PSP system for free from Sony's web site and install it to your PSP;
2. Buy the largest memory stick pro duo, that you can afford. 8 gigs is what I use.
3. Format the memory stick using the upgraded PSP.
4. Download the free software, XVID4PSP, and install it on your desktop computer.
Now the everyday steps that I use to get TV content to my PSP
1. I record my favorite shows, using my Panasonic DVD recorder onto blank discs that cost about 20 cents each, using the 4 hour format, (which gives 720X480 resolution). You can use RW disks, and reuse them over and over, if you want.
2. I bring the recorded disc to my desktop computer, and I copy the VOB file for a show from the disc to a directory on my hard drive. By the way, if the show is over one hour long, there will be an additional VOB file for each hour.
3. Then I use the program XVID4PSP, to convert the VOB files into MP4 files. If you have an older computer this part can take too long to be bearable. A new computer can encode a one hour show in about twenty minutes or faster.
4. The result of the conversion will be two files, a large MP4 movie file and a tiny optional JPG file that displays an icon on the PSP. Copy these two files to the VIDEO directory on the memory stick, using a USB cable or a card reader.
You can fit 15-20 movies on one 8 gig memory stick.
5. Watch your shows on your PSP anywhere and anytime.
13 of 14 people found this review helpful.
a handheld PS2?
PSP: what an amazing device, big bright screen, near-PS2 level technology in a package not much larger than the original Game Boy Advance! It has a micro optical disc drive and is capable of playing super games on Universal Media Disc out of the box, like the Monster Hunter Freedom series, Burnout Legends, Need For Speed Carbon, Wipeout Pure, Daxter, etc. With small modification ($20 invested in a Pandora battery and Magic Memory Stick) it can play most of my old PS1 games (Gran Turismo 2!), plus emulators for DOS (Doom, Duke Nukem 3D), GB and GBA (Pokemon series), NES, SNES, Amiga, Commodore 64, Neo Geo Pocket, Sega Master System, Genesis, Game Gear, and more obscure old systems. It can also play homebrew games developed for the PSP.
Each iteration has advantages and disadvantages, the 1000 series (Phat) is larger and heavier with slower loading times, but is easier to hack and capable of playing more homebrew games. The 2000 (Slim & Lite) series is thinner and lighter, faster loading of disc games, has composite and component television output, most models are easily hackable, some homebrew games will not play. The 3000 series (PSP Brite) is like the 2000 with a brighter screen and a built in microphone, but is much less hackable. The newest PSP Go is smaller, has a huge internal memory, but has no optical disc reader, and is not easily hackable.
The PSP can also play movies, MP3s, and has WiFi connection for internet.
I have a 1000 and a 2000, they replace my Sega Nomad, my Gameboys(O,C,A,SP), Sega Game Gear, Neo Geo Pocket Color, and NES clones. Plus, I'm replaying DOS, PS1, Atari, and SNES games on the go. I thought it was a good deal when I first bought it, just for the commercial games, and I'd been considering buying a portable NES clone, and/or a GamePark 32, but I discovered that the PSP can do it all. Games new and old, movies, music, internet. It has to be the best gaming investment I've ever made.
9 of 9 people found this review helpful.
The PSP has long been something I had thought about buying ever since it came out years ago, however the price point had always made me hesitate. When I finally pulled the trigger, I was more than satisfied with what I got.
The PSP Slim is a improved version of the original "fat" PSP, with a longer battery life, and reduced weight. What I love about the PSP is the almost limitless potential it offers the smart user. It can play games, music, photo's and videos flawlessly, as well as connect to the internet using Wi-Fi, download content from the PlayStation Store, or even Connect with a PlayStation 3 if you happen to have one. Did I forget to mention it has a beautiful 4.3 inch screen? yep, it can even output the video onto a separate TV if you have the appropriate cables, that's how amazing this system is.
Needless to say, the purchase was well worth it!
23 of 25 people found this review helpful.
great product i had no problem starting it up or with anything really it runs great and its in perfect shape :)
1 of 1 people found this review helpful.
Everything you need for powerful multimedia excitement! From fast action games, full featured movies, the ability to listen to music and display photographs, this Sony PSP-1001K PlayStation Portable (PSP) does it all plus more! With a dazzling 4.3-inch LCD widescreen, games comes to life whenever you are. Store your digital photos and share them with friends and family. You can even download and listen your favorite MP3s or transfer UMD and MP4 videos anytime! This 802.11b WiFi certified portable player lets you communicate with other PSP consoles or surf the web wherever there is a wireless hot spot. Its ergonomic design fits comfortably in your hands for hours of gaming and comes with all of the essentials for on the road entertainment. So go ahead and enjoy playing games, watching videos, viewing photos, and listening to music! Order this Sony PSP-1001K PlayStation Portable today!
5 of 6 people found this review helpful.