Great for small businesses
We use 5-6 of these printers in our business, which is coffee manufacturing. We label products and boxes with them.
- They've been around forever, you can install several around the company and use one set of drivers, so deployment is very easy. If you buy another in one year, it will be the same model, with the same driver and settings, so you just use the drivers you have on file, no need to research a new printer and spend time setting it up and downloading new drivers.
- It uses direct thermal technology, which means there are no cartridges or ink rolls to replace. It pretty much just burns the paper.
- It is mechanically very simple and can run forever, the only reason you stop it is to add another roll of labels (if you don't have a feeder). Any idiot can change the labels and operate it. It works in harsher environments (warehouse with dust and brutal temperature variations). We have never seen one break in several years.
- It works with Microsoft Office products and pretty much any piece of software, so you can design your labels in Excel or MS Word (i.e., to pull product codes from a database and print code and description automatically). No need to buy specialized label design software.
- It is cheap, you can have several side by side, one for each label type/size you use, or many distributed throughout the warehouse.
- Great for shipping labels.
- USB connectivity.
- It is not very fast. We only print a few hundred labels per day, so it's fine.
- No multi-color printing, resolution is Ok for business and barcodes but not for grayscale photographs.
- The direct thermal labels are a bit expensive.
Conclusion: I consider this the best solution for small business label printing. Inexpensive, reliable, maintenance-free (set and forget it), easy to set up. Has a few quirks, but I like it more than anything from the competition.
5 of 5 people found this review helpful.
Best bang for the buck
Of all the Zebra thermal label printers, this model works best with third party shippers (i.e. UPS, FedEX and even USPS when used in conjunction with third party application software such as Stamps.com and Endicia). With serial, parallel and USB ports, this model has the flexibility to be used on both PCs and Macs. Besides Zebra's Design Pro software, it also works great with Avery Design Pro, and may also work with others. Too bad Zebra doesn't have a color version of this model. This particular one was purchased as a backup to my existing unit.
It uses a small footprint and takes up very little desktop space. Plus, since it's a thermal printer, it never requires ink or toner. The perfect label printer for shippers and others that wish to create 4" x 6" labels, either roll or sheet.
6 of 6 people found this review helpful.
Printer is the best!!! does not use ink no maintnance needed unlike other printers this was one of the best investments in my ebay business for shipping it is quic has my labels printed out in 2 seconds. No hassle unlike ink cartridges running out or taking 1-2 minutes for just 1 label to print. Im saving about $75 bucks a month on just ink. Will recommened for any business in the shipping field for no use on ink. Also i think this eco friendly due to the fact there it no ink. All you need is the labels and your ready for printing.
3 of 3 people found this review helpful.
Stamps.com & Endicia users
It took me a short time to figure it out, but I highly recommend to use this printer under high quality settings. After you connect this printer and install the driver, go to your "Printer and Faxes" configuration and "Printing Preferences." Then go to "Device Options" and change head setting to "15" for print darkness and speed setting to print speed "1.5" This will slow down the print jobs for each labels, but you will print out labels in the highest quality. You will get perfectly dark prints. If you print in fast settings, you might get faded prints which is not safe to ship your packages.
2 of 2 people found this review helpful.
the better printer for shipping labels, with bar code suport and option to choose labels or thermal paper.
2 of 2 people found this review helpful.