Have one to sell? Sell it yourself
A vehicle is considered used if it has been registered and issued a title. Used vehicles have had at least one previous owner. The condition of the exterior, interior and engine can vary depending on the vehicle's history. See the seller's listing for full details and description of any imperfections. See all condition definitions- opens in a new window or tab
|Seller Notes:||“Project near completion, no engine or prop included.All major components are included but additional purchases of small parts and material required for completion.”|
Offered for sale is Aeronca O-58A AAF Serial # 42-7796 built 11/15/1941 and delivered to the 109th Observation Squadron, 67th Observation Group November 18th, 1941 only a few weeks before Pearl Harbor. You may never have an opportunity like this again to own a truly historic and significant aircraft.
We have spent over two years, and 1200 man hours restoring this aircraft to this point but are selling in order to focus our time and resources on a T-41B we are also restoring. We simply do not have the time to complete this project.
There is a local IA on the field who can be contracted to complete the project to fly away condition with the engine of your choice. Buyer would need to contact the IA directly to work out the details and cost structure to complete the aircraft. Buyer would be responsible for all additional costs associated with the completion of the restoration.
We have all of the factory drawings and manuals some original as well as other historical artifacts and equipment that go with the aircraft. Our two years of research have revealed a full rich history and we have included biographies of two famous pilots who received training in the aircraft at the Liaison Pilots School in Pittsburg Kansas. Relatives of the pilots have provided additional photos of the two airman.
We have hundreds of photos of the restoration, please contact us for them as well as any other information you may need.
International buyers are responsible for all arrangements, paperwork and cost associated with overseas shipment.
Aircraft is located in a hangar at F95.
Aeronca O-58A N49087
Army Serial No. 42-7796, Aeronca Serial No. 42-7796
Date built 11/15/1941, Date Accepted US Army 11/18/1941
Army Flight Time 756 hrs, Total Time 1,138 hrs
In Storage since 10/21/1954
42-7796 is one of only two O-58A aircraft
that still survive of the twenty built by Aeronca and delivered to the Army
November of 1941 a few weeks before Pearl Harbor. The other O-58A 42-7798 was
heavily damaged in a crash in 2011. 42-7796 will be the only airworthy example
left in the world when completed. Records show that Ft. Rucker has in storage a
O-58A but we visited the museum storage facility and the aircraft they have is
a TC painted with tail # 7798 and is a replica. No O-58A aircraft are known to
exist in any museums.
The O-58A differs from later L-3 aircraft
in that it is the only Aeronca ever built where the factory used the military
serial # as the Aeronca factory number. It has a different welded frame, is
lighter by 40 lbs, was equipped with Learadios (not RCA) and had a large
overhead greenhouse structure of Spruce not steel. The O-58A had metal
ribs, leading edges, and instrument
panel while later B and C models had all wood wings and wood panel. The O-58A
has front brakes only and was not equipped with a rear throttle when it left
the factory. The elevator trim is located on the upper left side of the
cockpit. Initially the Learadios were mounted on the left hand window sill
frame where the rear throttle would have been. A brace bolted to the pilot seat
supported a tray hooked to welded tabs on the window frame. 42-7796 still has
those welded lugs on the window frame and the welded bolt holes on the pilot
During 1942 several O-58A aircraft were
converted to L-3A configuration, rear throttles were added in the field by
clamping on a support. The addition of the rear throttle required relocation of
the radios in the same locations as the L-4A aircraft with the transmitter on a
rear baggage shelf and the receiver on the floor between the pilots legs. Early
L-3B aircraft also mounted one of the RCA radios to the front floorboard. The
field installation of the rear throttle was not recessed in the same fashion as
the factory installed welded mount and the throttle rod was exposed between the
rear and front throttles.
We have restored 42-7796 as she appeared
the Spring of 1942, the red center has been removed from the insignia, along
with the US Army on the wings. The 109th Observation Squadron Markings remain
on the vertical fin, the 24 stands for aircraft #24 of the 109th OBS. Yellow
radio call numbers were not painted on O-58 aircraft till 1943.
42-7796 last flew 10/21/1954 and was then
disassembled and placed in storage with a total airframe time of 1,138 hours.
We have complete records including all original logbooks from the day she left
the Army . The first civilian logbook entry shows time flown in military
service is 756 hrs brought forward from AAF form 1A. We also have a large
collection of original documents that came with the aircraft including
registration forms from 1945, 337s and other documents.
Military History O-58A 42-7796
We spent two years fully researching the
history of 42-7796 and have retrieved the aircraft card, along with locations
and units served with. We have flight reports from the assignment at the
Liaison Pilot Training School in Pittsburg Kansas as well as pilot Bios , and
42-7796 was delivered to the 109th
Observation Squadron, 67th Observation Group 11/18/1941 a few weeks before
Pearl Harbor. The aircraft flew with the
109th during the Carolina Maneuvers Nov/Dec 1941. The aircraft also flew out of
Esler Field, Camp Beauregard La. while with the 109th. 42-7796 remained with
the 109th OBS from January 1942 thru June
5th, 1942 when the 109th began preparations for deployment to England.
During the first half of 1942 while with the 109th, 42-7796 flew anti submarine
patrols along the Eastern Coastline and Gulf coast. 42-7796 was transferred to
Pittsburg, Kansas June 5th, 1942 initially to the Glider Pilot School there which was changed over to the
Liaison Pilot Training School January, 1943. 42-7796 remained at Pittsburg thru
1943 and early 1944. The training school was shut down in 1944 and 42-7796 was
sold as surplus January 8th, 1945.
Col. Robert J. Low
US Army 1941 - 1963, 0-1166547
Colonel Low flew 42-7796 several times
during the summer and early fall of 1943 while in training for his Liaison
Pilots wings at Pittsburg Kansas. He graduated
in class P-44-II with a stage B grade of 92 and no accidents. Col. Low
went on to fly in both the European and Pacific theaters and later the Korean
War. For five days in 1950 during the US Marine retreat from the Chosin
Reservoir Col. Low made repeated flights in to makeshift icy airstrips to
evacuate wounded, for these actions he was awarded the Silver Star. Col. Low
later became a helicopter pilot and taught air tactics at the Army Command and
General Staff College at Ft. Leavenworth Kansas. He also helped develop the
helicopter doctrine used by the 1ST Air Calvary Division in Vietnam. During his service he received two awards of
the Distinguished Flying Cross, Silver Star, and seven awards of the Air Medal.
He passed away in 2001 and is buried in Arlington National Cemetery.
US Army WW II and Korea 0-1183243
Bolton flew 42-7796 several times during the summer and Fall of 1943 while in
training for his Liaison Pilots Wings at Pittsburg Kansas. While in training he nosed 42-7796 over landing in tall grass on a cross country to
Carthage MO. The only damage sustained to 42-7796 was a dented cowling, broken
prop and damaged airbox. After
graduation from Pittsburg, Bolton went on to fly Piper L-4 aircraft in the
Philippines. Later during the Korean War he became a personal pilot for General
Douglas MacArthur. Boltons daughter, Author Joanna Bolton has provided several
WW II and Korean photos of her father and Mother including one of her Mother
posing with a O-58A tail # unknown.
been in dry storage since 1954 and the tubing was in beautiful condition. We
made the decision to hand clean the tubing rather than blasting to preserve the
tubing in original condition and not remove any wall thickness thru blasting. The original factory zinc
chromate was easily removed and the tubing hand polished with scotch brite pads
and wheels. Only minor repairs were
required, the lower tail post tubing was replaced with 4130, small tubing along
the lower nose was replaced, pilot seat diagonal tubes replaced with 4130, and
new shoulder harness fittings added. The frame was then treated with metal prep
was and then coated with a red oxide primer followed by epoxy.
All wood was
replaced with new, formers, stringers,
floorboards, main tank tray, window frames, etc. New aluminum instrument panel, door and
window fairings, upper nose curved sheet metal and boot cowling were
fabricated. New rudder cables made. All controls, and pedals cleaned, primed
and painted. Aircraft has very nice set of Cleveland 161/162 wheels and drum
brakes that are rated at 1500 lbs and have no AD on them. They are approved
under the TC for this aircraft. The brakes have been cleaned and have new shoes
and pads. Excellent original Aeronca
tail wheel. New main tires and tubes and
tail wheel installed. Both fuel tanks are included with new stainless
straps. Trim tab, door handle, fuel
gauge and most instruments are included. All glass replaced with new, All new
hardware used in assembly. Very nice
engine mount has been cleaned and painted. New stainless firewall fabricated.
Fuselage is covered using the Air-Tech STC which goes thru primer. Top coat is Poly-Fiber Aerothane with flattener. The flat Aerothane is a dead match for an original WW II fabric sample we have from a L-5. The fabric received three primer coats hand sanded before the final color coats were applied. The colors are Dark Olive Drab # 41 and Neutral Gray # 43.
insignia colors were matched to correct WW II color cards. Interior panels are
simulated WW II Bedford Cord. Seat
cushions are covered with a coordinating vinyl. All Gear components are excellent and have
been covered and painted, oleos have been rebuilt, fuselage is up on the gear. All
tail surfaces have been cleaned and epoxy primed, rudder has been painted and
new trim tab fabricated and mounted. Included are the original metal cowlings and
New spruce spars have been installed, right
wing has compression struts and drag wires installed, needs ribs nailed down,
tip bows, leading and trailing edges installed and wood root rib built. Right
wing has new spruce spars installed needs same work as left wing and also drag
wires installed. All steel components are included and have been cleaned and
epoxy primed. Ailerons are excellent and need covering. A very nice set of
undamaged wing struts is included.
Equipment, Manuals and Documents
Project includes a brand new old stock set of Learadios and reel, headset and mic. Also included is a very rare WW II ceramic antenna wire tail insulator. A complete set of reproduction manuals are included, along with a nice set of factory drawings. A large number of original documents and manuals are also included and WW II artifacts. A large amount of research material and documentation is included. This is the most complete and highly documented WW II liaison aircraft I have seen and this rare aircraft is a once in a lifetime opportunity to acquire.
Money order/Cashiers cheque
Cash in person
Other - See seller's payment instructions
Current bid amount
Current bid amount Approximately:
Shipping amount Approximately:
Your current max bid:
Increase your chances of winning by setting a higher bid now.
Let eBay place automatic bids for you This opens a help overlay dialogue about automatic bidding.
How does automatic bidding work?
As other bids come in, eBay will automatically raise your bid in small amounts, up to your limit. Learn More. - opens in a new window or tab
Close button. This closes the help overlay dialogue.