We have one of the largest collections of quality collector cars in the United States. For over 20 years, we have specialized in finding the most unique vehicles in the world. See our page above to view our collection of over 100 of the world's best collector cars.
1908 Baker Electric
The Baker Motor Vehicle Company was one of the oldest and for many years the most successful electric vehicle manufacturer. Founded in Cleveland, Ohio in 1899 by Walter C. Baker, the company expanded though offering a diverse range of body styles on several standardized chassis and drivetrains, all of them powered by Edison batteries. A Baker Electric formed part of the first White House automobile fleet. Thomas A. Edison was an early Baker Electric customer, at a time when electric power competed successfully with steam and internal combustion largely on the strength of its simplicity and clean-running, silent performance. Baker Electrics had 40-50 mile range, more than sufficient for the urban and suburban use which the deplorable state of roads outside built up areas made the dominant market for automobiles in the yearly decades of the 20th century. While many Bakers were bodied with large, imposing carriage-style coachwork — landaulets, cabriolets, limousines, broughams and the like — the telephone booth-shaped coupes are best remembered. This 1908 Baker Model V Victoria is quite different, a sparse but attractively equipped two seater with 48-volt motor and shaft drive to the rear axle. It is an older restoration done for and preserved by a well known, respected East Coast collection done to high standards of fit, function and finish. Conservatively liveried in black with black leather fenders and dashboard (the original carriage term), black tufted leather upholstery and a black leather cape-style top, it is body #5372, with Weston Model 240 meter #280. With 48-volt power it promises to be something extra in the way of performance. Carefully preserved, it shows some age and use but is fully serviceable and in great mechanical condition, a straightforward basis for cosmetic attention to bring it back to show condition or immediately usable for around town driving or tours on the vastly improved roads that didn’t exist when it was new.
Please call 877-550-9627 for further details!
- Bid with confidence! If you are the winning bidder, and you come to our facility to inspect it, and don’t like it, we will refund your money…no questions asked!
- Our reserve price has been set fairly. If the reserve is not met, the high bid will be considered, and the highest bidder will be contacted through an eBay personal offer.
- Please feel free to call us with any questions before bidding, we are available by phone Monday – Friday 9am -5pm, and Saturday 9:30am- 3:30pm @ 877-554-9627
- Hyman Ltd. reserves the right to notify bidders and cancel this auction at any time.
- If you do not intend to purchase the vehicle described above, please do not bid.
- We cannot accept any bid retractions in the last 24 hours of the auction.
- All vehicles are available for personal inspection. We invite you to come visit our 100 car showroom, located just a few miles from the St. Louis International Airport.
- If you are the winning bidder, and wish to view the car personally, you or your agent have five days in which to complete your inspection. Remember, if for any reason you don’t like the car, we will refund your deposit, no questions asked, within this five day period.
- It is important to bear in mind that a vehicle is “NEW” only once and that all pre-owned vehicles, regardless of age, mileage, or level of restoration, are subject to cosmetic wear and mechanical failure. These understandings are essential to the realistic expectations of collector car ownership. It is for this reason that we encourage a personal inspection prior to delivery to help ensure your satisfaction.
- All vehicles are sold as-is, where-is, with no warranties expressed or implied.
- All sales are final.
- A 20% deposit must be received within 48 hours of auction end.
- Deposit is fully refundable if purchaser inspects the vehicle within the 5 day inspection period, and for any reason does not like the car.
- Final payment must be received within five business days of close of auction, unless other arrangements are made.
- Payment can be made by cashier’s check or by bank wire transfer.
- Purchaser to pay for any and all transportation costs.
- We are happy to assist you in finding shipping, and will contact the shipper on your behalf.
- Prices and quality of service vary greatly, and we will work hard to get you a reasonable price with a reputable company.
- We are happy to accommodate our overseas buyers!
- We have exported cars worldwide for over 20 years. Overseas shipments can be containerized for safe sea passage.
- We take care of all the details and paperwork. All you have to do is collect the car at the port of your choice.
- Shipping can take 14 days or more due to scheduling.