Costume Boas, Scarves and Leis
Costume boas, scarves, and leis can be worn to accessorize a variety of costumes. There are many neckwear designs available to coordinate with specific styles of clothing. Men, women, and children alike can choose the accessories that best suit their purposes.What are the different types of costume wear?
Accessories for costumes can vary dramatically. Some of the costume accessories you can find include:
- Boas: Made from feathers, these scarf-like accessories are often associated with burlesque. They are worn draped around the neck or shoulders.
- Scarves: Scarves are worn for warmth as well as for fashion and can be tied and knotted for different looks.
- Leis: Leis are traditionally floral and are associated with Hawaii and the island lifestyle. The flowers on a costume lei may be made from a variety of materials.
Deciding on how the accessory is going to be used will make it easier for you to determine which item to choose. There are plenty of instances in which such accessories can be worn to coordinate with a particular costume, including:
- Halloween: Choose something that coordinates with your costume.
- Themed party: The accessory can be worn for a themed party, such as a Luau or 1920s theme.
- Bachelor/Bachelorette party: Wear fun decor around the neck to enhance a fun time. For example, the bride-to-be can wear a feathery white boa.
Costume accessories can come in many colours. In some instances, they are one solid colour. Other versions may have patterns based on the theme that they are designed for. Some designs include:
- Mardis Gras: These might use colours like gold, purple, and green.
- Rainbow: Show your pride or love of colour in red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and purple.
- Solid colours: Choose an accessory in black, white, red, and more.
- Neon: Neon goes great with a techno or 80s theme. Look for bright pink, aqua, yellow, lime green, and more.
- Prints: Polka dots, stripes, and animal prints can be chose to suit the occasion.
There are many materials that can be used, such as:
- Silk or satin
- Shells and other natural materials
- Plastic and acrylic
The length of a boas or scarf can be useful to consider. For example, shorter lengths may be better for children to wear with a costume. Longer scarves and leis can be doubled up around the neck or allowed to hang down lower on the chest. The length is commonly measured in inches and may be the total length or the diameter.