Choosing DEC Catalytic Converters for Your Car or Truck
DEC, otherwise known as Diversified Environmental Catalysts, makes and manufactures several different types of auto parts, including catalytic converters, also known as cats or cat-cons. DEC catalytic converters are among of their most popular parts on the market that ensure cars and other vehicles have lower emissions.
How Do Catalytic Converters Work?
A catalytic converter is a mechanism that utilizes a catalyst to take hydrocarbons, carbon monoxide, and nitrogen oxide, compounds made in an engine that forms in exhaust, and convert them into harmless compounds. It essentially splits up the molecules after it leaves the engine, but before it pumps out of the vehicles exhaust and into the air. A catalyst is a chemical that causes a chemical reaction, but it does not change as a result of that reaction. The most common catalyst is platinum or palladium or rhodium. A DEC catalytic converter is a metal box that bolts to the underside of your car with two pipes coming out of it. One pipe connects from the vehicles engine to the box and carries the harmful fumes into the box where the chemical reaction takes places. The other pipe connects the converter part to the exhaust and carries the clean air to the exhaust and out into the air from the car.
What Are the Different Types of Catalytic Converters?
- Two-way. This auto part performs two tasks specifically the oxidation of carbon monoxide into carbon dioxide, and the oxidation of hydrocarbons into water and carbon dioxide. These are primarily for diesel in reducing emissions; however, gasoline engines also used these up until about 1981 when the three-way converters became more effective and environmentally sound.
- Three-way. Currently, the DEC catalytic converter three-way system appears in many vehicles throughout most of the country in order to reduce the harmful effects of vehicle emissions. In addition to the two oxidation tasks, this type also involves the reduction of nitrogen oxides into nitrogen and oxygen.
- Diesel. For diesel engines, a diesel oxidation catalyst is employed. In this system, the catalyst uses oxygen to convert carbon monoxide into carbon dioxide and hydrocarbons to water and carbon dioxide. These are relatively efficient in eliminating the diesel odor, as well as the particulates that form from it.
Why Do I Need to Have a Catalytic Converter for My Vehicle?
- Regulations. Currently, in most countries there are specific regulations for vehicles to have catalytic converters. However, in the United States each state may have different regulations based on the appropriate levels of emissions.
- Environmental concerns. DEC catalytic converters are in place to help reduce the harmful emissions and air pollution so many of our vehicles have caused.
Content is provided for informational purposes only. eBay is not affiliated with or endorsed by DEC.