Flashlights are portable, handheld electric lights. The source of each lumen comes from one or more LED or incandescent bulb. A typical flashlight is made up of a reflector, a cover that protects the reflector and the lighting source, a switch, and a battery.What are some of the uses of a flashlight?
Flashlights have an array of uses. They give you the power of portable lighting wherever and whenever you need it. Some of the key uses include security and safety, outdoor camping, and general household use. Other uses include:
- Emergency light during a power outage
- Lighting construction areas
- Hiking through caves
- Light for searching through dimly lit rooms like an attic, a dark closet, or a garage
- Lighting your way during outdoor holiday events
- Medical use
- Incandescent: They are inexpensive and produce moderately bright light.
- LED lights: LED flashlights last long since they produce minimal heat. They have no gas or filament, making them very durable.
- Halogen, krypton and Xenon flashlights: These contain pressurized gas that aids in extending the life of the filament. They are really bright but fragile.
- Shake flashlights: This is a battery-free light that works by shaking the flashlight to get several hours of LED lighting. This is a result of the electromagnetic energy generated by the rapid motion.
What are the different types of batteries used by a flashlight?
- Alkaline battery: These batteries have a copper top and come in different sizes ranging from AAA to D. They are inexpensive and readily available.
- Lithium battery: Superior to the alkaline batteries, they produce more power, last longer, and stand up to extreme temperatures better than alkaline batteries.
- CR123A: They have more power than the alkaline battery with a voltage output of 3V. They can support bulbs that are brighter and also last longer.
- Rechargeable batteries: They are of two types of these batteries, namely non-integrated and integrated. These help reduce waste.
- Common utility flashlight: These units are made of plastic, having a single incandescent bulb, and are normally powered by heavy-duty D-cells.
- Heavy-duty flashlight: These tools are made of heavier plastic and have better incandescent bulbs than common utility flashlights that offer better output. They are usually powered by two alkaline D-cell batteries.
- Work flashlights: These flashlights have cases made of plastic and nylon composites and have xenon or krypton bulbs that offer good lighting output. They are normally water-resistant.
- Tactical flashlights: These high-end tools are designed for tactical modes of operation like military use and law enforcement. They are constructed using aircraft grade aluminum or high-grade composites. They are waterproof with high-grade internal components. They use HID, Xenon, LED, or Halogen bulbs and are powered using two rechargeable D-cells with a lithium-ion battery.