Gel Nail Polish
A gel manicure is a type of manicure that uses UV light to set the polish. Unlike acrylic manicures, the gel is not primarily used to strengthen the nail, but to make the polish last days longer than a typical nail polish application. A gel manicure can be done at a salon or at home with the right equipment.How do you apply gel nail polish?
Applying shellac or gel onto your nails as opposed to more traditional nail products takes a few more steps.
- Prepare your nails like you would for any other type of polish: file the shape you would like, push back the cuticles, and make sure your nails are clean.
- Apply the base layer for your gel polish. Let the shellac dry completely before moving to the next step.
- After the base coat dries, apply two thin layers of gel nail polish colour. Each layer should be cured for about two minutes.
- Finish off your manicure by adding a top coat to your shellac nails. As with the other layers, this layer of gel polish should be cured under the UV lamp for the same amount of time as the other polish layers.
The reason why so many people love gel manicures is that it will last much longer than a typical nail polish application. A gel nail polish can last as long as two weeks or more depending on how well you take care of your nails while it is on.Can you add embellishments to shellac nails?
You can add embellishments to any type of nail, including shellac polishes. Once you have chosen what type of gem, rhinestone, or other art element you want to add, you will need to apply two gel topcoats before the curing process. Then your embellishments will be strong and durable on each nail.How do you remove gel polish?
Removing nail polish that is made from gel or shellac has a different process than typical nail products. To remove a gel nail polish you can follow these steps at home.
- Use a gel remover or 100% acetone and soak cotton balls in it.
- Place the cotton balls over each nail, wrapping them in tinfoil.
- Wrap you entire hand in a towel. Leave it for between 15 minutes and an hour.
- Once the gel or shellac is crumbling, gently push it off the nail with a rubber cuticle tool.