A hand winch is a piece of mechanical gear that is used to wind in or let out a heavy item. They are made of heavy-duty steel. A spool attaches to a hand crank, allowing you to move large items with less effort.What are the types of hand winch?
- Winch strap: A hand winch strap is designed to pull an all-terrain vehicle or a boat onto a trailer. The strap of the hand winch is usually made of woven nylon. A mooring hook is attached to one end of the gear. The hand winch strap typically has a load capacity of 600 pounds to 4,000 pounds. Those with a lower capacity are also called a mini winch.
- Cable or chain puller: A chain puller hand winch uses a metal chain or cable. They are often mounted onto a truck or trailer for lifting a heavy tool chest or piece of equipment on and off of the truck's bed.
- Cable hoist: The cable hoist hand winch uses a dual ratcheting system. The gears work together to lift a 4,000-pound to 8,000-pound capacity. This gear is portable and can be used at construction sites and for heating, ventilation, and air conditioning applications.
- Select a size: There are multiple components to the size of the winch. Choose a winch with a capacity ranging from 600 pounds to 8,000 pounds. Select a hand winch diameter of 1/8 inch or larger. Select a strap thickness of 4 millimeters or larger. Choose a strap or chain length of 24 feet or longer. Select a gear ratio of 3:1, 4:1, or 8:1.
- Choose a manufacturer: There are many companies that make a winch for loading, pulling, or reeling. They include Champion Power Equipment, Master Lock, Reese, and Superwinch. There are also unbranded winch products.
- Select a handle type: A winch handle may have a swiveling arm that winds and provides torque as you turn it. A hand winch could also have a push-down lever. Both types of handles are typically made of steel and are covered with a silicone or rubber coating for comfort and attaining a better grasp.
- Ergonomic gripping design: The handle of the mini winch has a rubberized grip that is easy to hold on to as you provide force for the lifting or pulling of an object. The grasping area has an ergonomic design that is made to reduce fatigue to your hands and arms.
- Resistance to rust and corrosion: A winch is usually made of stainless steel or powder-coated steel alloy. These materials resist rust and corrosion, which is important to marine applications and use at work sites where the equipment may get splashed or dirtied.
- Portability: A mini winch offers portability so that you can use it for loading or pulling from your truck's trailer. The mini winch is easy to take from the trailer to a boat or some other site where it is needed for lifting a heavy load.