Handbags have been around since the mid-19th century, mostly due to the rise of train travel. Nowadays, most women never leave the house without their purses in hand. Though there are many types of purses, leather handbags are stylish places to put your personal belongings when you're out of the house.
What styles of leather handbags are available?
While there are too many to list, these are a few of the numerous styles available:
- Backpack: A leather backpack purse has two straps and is carried on both shoulders. These bags have at least one large compartment and may have zippers or snap closures.
- Hobo: Leather hobo handbags are shaped like a crescent moon with a dip in the middle. They usually have one or two compartments and may zip to close.
- Satchel: Leather satchels are handbags with flat bottoms and one or two handles. They often have a crossbody strap. Satchels are usually closed with decorative hardware and may be big or small.
- Tote: A tote is large bag with a single compartment and two short handles. They can be closed with a snap although this is rare.
- Messenger: Messenger bags have one long, crossbody strap that stays on one shoulder, making it easier for the bag to stay put while riding a bike or walking around town.
- Clutch: A clutch is a handheld purse no larger than a wallet.
What are the steps for choosing a leather handbag?
In general, there are six things to consider when purchasing a leather handbag:
- Length: The bottom of the handbag will accentuate the body part on which it falls. A handbag that sits at the waist is flattering for most body types.
- Size: The size of the handbag should be relative to the person wearing it. A large bag will overpower a woman with a small frame whereas a small bag will look even smaller on a woman with a large frame.
- Shape: The most flattering shape for a handbag is one that is opposite your own body shape.
- Style: Buy a handbag to match your personal style. Keep in mind that a fancy purse will not work with a sweatshirt and jeans nor will a casual handbag go with a formal dress.
- Usage: It is important to make sure the purse you want to buy has enough room for the items you want to carry with you.