Everything You Need to Know About Concrete Mixers
When you have a construction project to do, its important to have a reliable concrete mixer with enough drum capacity to handle the job. Whether youre working with quick- or slow-drying materials, the right mortar mixer can make a big difference in the quality of the finished product. When choosing a mixer, you should know how to use and maintain the wheel, drum, and other components to keep them in good condition for their entire lifespan.What materials can be prepared in a concrete mixer?
Any type of cement that needs to be mixed with water and continuously turned to prevent drying over the duration of a project can be prepared in a steel mortar mixer. A mixer can also be used to inoculate seeds for farming or to clean ammunition casings. A few materials you can prepare in your mixer are the following:
Steel drum sizes range from around 2 cubic feet to more than 5 cubic feet. The capacity of a mortar mixer is typically about half the volume of the entire drum. Depending on the size and scope of your project, you should choose a product with enough capacity to keep your concrete or mortar wet for six to 12 hours a day.How do you clean and maintain a concrete mixer?
Keeping your concrete mixer in good shape simply takes daily cleaning and maintenance. When work is finished for the day, follow the steps listed below:
- Break down the mortar mixer by removing the drum and disassembling any mechanical parts.
- Wash the inside of the drum with water to remove any residual cement left over from the project.
- Spray off any cement stuck to the legs or sides of the mixer.
- Use a stiff-bristle brush to remove any dried cement or mortar from the exterior of the mixer.
- Let the mixer dry overnight and then reassemble the parts when theyre finished drying.
Concrete mixers typically have one-half horsepower motors that can turn at around 27 rounds per minute. This amount of power enables the mixers to keep 2 to 3 cubic feet of mortar or concrete wet for up to 12 hours. The rate of 27 RPM is a steady speed that makes it easy to reach into the mixer and scoop out the material without spilling it.