Other Children & Young Adult Books
Books are essential for children to develop vocabulary and critical thinking skills. They may also offer an escape for youngsters struggling with social situations by helping them understand different lifestyles and perspectives. No matter what the reason, there are numerous books available for these ages.What are board books?
Board books are a safe way for children under two to experience books. They average 20 thick cardboard pages with colourful pictures and few words. Toddlers can play with them alone without parents worrying about pages ripping. Classics include author Eric Carle's "The Very Hungry Caterpillar" and "The Grouchy Ladybug." Also recommended are the BabyLit series. These include board-book versions of novels such as "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" and "Dracula." Touch-and-feel style books have textures like felt or feathers on each page for a more tactile experience.What are some novels for children who like Harry Potter?
J.K. Rowling combined a battle between good and evil in a magical world with realistic coming-of-age experiences. For children from nine to 12, chapter books provide an escape into their imagination. They can help a young adult process friendship and relationship issues. Some similar kids books include:
- "Percy Jackson and the Olympians" by Rick Riordan relates the story of a 12 year old's journeys in a world based on Greek mythology.
- "The Cloak Society" by Jeramey Kraatz follows a boy raised in a family of supervillains as he questions good and evil while searching for his place in the world.
- "The Uncommoners" by Jennifer Bell explores an underground fantasy world while telling the story of two children fleeing a home invasion.
From the first year they start reading, children need to advance from picture books to beginner chapter books. Whether a young reader prefers a fairy-tale romance, a mystery, realistic fiction, or a scary story, there are many books including:
- "Somewhere In the World Right Now" is one of Stacey Schuett's picture books designed to offer children a broader world view.
- "Little Critter" is a series of picture books by Mercer Mayer that addresses topics relevant to children such as getting a puppy, taking a bath, and bad dreams.
- "My Family Adventure" by Jacqueline Jules is an early chapter book that explores the life of seven-year-old Sofia, the youngest of three sisters.