What is Paper Mario?
Released in 2001 for the Nintendo 64 console, Paper Mario is the first game in the beginning of a series, with later versions being released on other consoles. Like other Mario titles, this video game stars Mario and his friends and villains like Bowser from the Mario universe.
What Are Some Facts About Paper Mario?
The Nintendo 64 gaming console came out in 1997 and with it came commercial success and numerous game titles. Paper Mario once again puts Mario in a fast-paced, action-filled situation where he must rescue Princess Peach, which is a familiar theme in many Mario-based titles.
- This title is considered an RPG, which stands for role-playing game. That means that you play as a specific character and gameplay moves along in a pretend universe, which in this case is the Mushroom Kingdom.
- It's the opening title in this specific series, but it's not the first RPG that features these characters. That honour belongs to Super Mario RPG, which was released for the Super NES console in 1996.
- Critics commended the game as a way for beginners to enter the world of role-playing games, making this a good first game for players who are interested in the world of RPG-style video games.
How Do You Play Paper Mario?
This title offers characters rendered in two-dimensional form, but the background and other elements are three-dimensional with the game moving along in story form.
- As with many of these types of games, this adventure title finds Mario moving through the Mushroom Kingdom, conquering obstacles, and looking for the Star Spirits in order to rescue Princess Peach by defeating the enemy, Bowser.
- There is a series of puzzles that Mario has to solve, but fortunately, he has the help of many other characters, such as Watt, Sushie, and Bombette.
- Characters can level up based on successful gameplay, and once Mario reclaims all of the Star Spirits, he is able to rescue Peach.
What Are Some Paper Mario Sequels?
This title was a commercial success and spawned a number of sequels in the series.
- In 2004, the company released Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door for the GameCube console. It's a direct sequel to the original game, and before the name of the video game was changed, it was simply Paper Mario 2.
- Created for the Wii in 2007, Super Paper Mario is more of a traditional platformer game where the action scrolls like an old-school game does.
- The handheld 3DS console got a third Paper Mario title called Paper Mario: Sticker Star. This is an RPG and the first in this series to be created specifically for a handheld system.
Content provided for informational purposes only. eBay is not affiliated or endorsed by Nintendo.