How to choose Pilates resistance bands in 5 easy steps:
- Step 1: check the material of the bandIs it latex or latex-free?
- Step 2: check the length of the bandWhen you step on the band, make sure you're able to stretch your arms straight to shoulder height.
- Step 3: check the level of resistanceChoose the level you're currently at, not the one that you want to achieve.
- Step 4: check if the resistance level is marked on the bandThe indication is useful, especially at the beginning of your mat Pilates journey.
- Step 5: check if the band includes a book or a DVD with resistance band workouts.
What is a Pilates resistance band?
Pilates resistance bands are ribbon tapes, usually made of latex, with three primary levels of resistance: light, medium, and heavy. The resistance level is often colour-coded and is specific to a manufacturer. The resistance means how much the band is going to elongate when performing an exercise.€
Within Pilates practice, the band (or exercise band or therapy band) might work in lieu of a reformer, because it simulates the movements of the machine.
The bands are mostly for strength workout or stretching, but are also helpful in physical therapy.
After covering the basics, let's find out more details about the exercise bands. Here's a list of questions you may ask:€
What types of Pilates resistance bands are there?
- FlatRibbon-like band with no handles at the ends; can adjust to any exercise; has moderate resistance; is comfortable to use, can tie to make a loop. In Pilates, mainly for stretching exercises and muscle awareness.
- TubeTube band with plastic handles at the ends; the handles could be removable; more levels of resistance are available; mostly for strength training, in Pilates mainly for core abdominal muscles.€
- Resistance bands loopMade of a flat, continuous band; thinner and much shorter than flat and tube bands; mostly used in exercises focused on lower body: legs, glutes, thighs, and hips.
What are the dimensions of exercise bands?
- Lengthusually between 5.9 in. to 6 ft. 5 in.; some manufacturers, e.g., TheraBand or Dyna, sell their bands in rolls so that you can cut off the band at the right length for you.
- Widthusually 6 in.; the narrowest bands could be 4 in.
The exercise bands usually come in a set of three, so make sure you check the dimensions before purchase.
Which resistance bands are good for Pilates?
Longer bands are better for Pilates, because many exercises need stretched-out legs or arms, lifted up to the shoulder height. When the band is too short, some Pilates routine movements be difficult to perform.€
Which resistance bands are right for you?
Make sure the band you choose has the right length and is at your fitness level. Don't aim for higher resistance. You can always grab the band further or closer to your body and thus increase or decrease tension.€
3 main benefits of using Pilates resistance bands:
- VersatileYou could use it across different sports and activities including CrossFit or physical therapy. With a band, you could do a full-body workout.€
- Affordable and smallIt's easy to store, so you can keep it anywhere. It's one of the smallest pieces of equipment, so travelling with a band is easy.€
- At any fitness levelIts for everyone from a beginner to advanced.
How to use a Pilates band?€
Flat, ribbon-like elastic bands are mostly used in training that focuses on improving flexibility, toning, and stretching. You could create more challenge and stretch in exercises like mermaid, roll-up, or saw. When you flex and point your feet with the rubber straps, you might feel more tension.
What brands are available on eBay?
On eBay, the most popular brands include Gaiam, Everlast, and Stamina.€
Incorporate the bands into your Pilates workout and move it to the next level.
Looking for some other Pilates accessories?