Rugs & Carpets
A rug or carpet can add some cheerful colour to any room while also protecting your floor from scratches, scuffs, and spills. There are many rug materials and patterns that you can pick from to add a layer of comfort and style to a room.What is the difference between rugs and carpets?
Though many people use these two words interchangeably, technically, rugs and carpets are different items. A rug refers to any type of floor covering that is underneath 6.5 feet in length. Carpets are coverings that measure more than 6.5 feet, and they often cover the entire room. Rugs can be made from many materials, while carpets are always made from textiles.What are rugs made from?
There are many different rug materials and each has its own distinct advantages.
- Wool: Most traditional handmade designs use wool because it is soft, retains heat well, and can be woven, knotted, or tufted into beautiful designs.
- Cotton: Cotton is a natural fiber that is good for making more lightweight, woven rugs.
- Synthetic fibers: Synthetic-fiber carpets are easy to clean and do not fade easily in the sun. Synthetic materials can be used to create a lot of interesting textures, like the ones seen on shag rugs.
- Animal hides: Treated animal hides add a natural and rustic look to any room. They often have hair or fur left on the leather to give the rug a soft feel.
- Grass: Grass and bamboo provide interesting weaves and textures.
Many sizes exist, but typically, sizing falls into a few basic categories.
- Runners: These narrow, long rugs are generally about 2 feet wide and 6 to 10 feet long. They are intended to go in hallways.
- Small area rugs: Area rugs cover a larger space of flooring. They are generally between 4 to 5 feet wide and 6 to 8 feet long.
- Large area rugs and carpets: Eight feet by 10 feet is a standard size for a big area rug, but you can also find carpet designs that are 6 feet by 9 feet or 9 feet by 12 feet.
- Round rugs: Area rugs can also be round, and these are typically 6 to 8 feet wide.
- Doormats: These small rugs are generally around 1.5 feet wide and 2.5 feet long. They are meant to go in front of doorways or sinks.
You have many options to choose from when selecting a patterned style of carpet, such as: