When laying large amounts of tile, there will inevitably be areas where the tile will have to be cut. While manual cutters may work for some types of tile, a tile saw can make the job go much more quickly. Tile saws are specifically designed for cutting tile.What is a wet saw?
A wet saw is a tile saw that uses a water-cooled diamond blade to cut. The diamond blade saw is mounted on a stand with a sliding table that allows you to move the tile smoothly into the blade for an even and polished finish. A water pump keeps the blade from overheating by pouring water over the blade as the tile saw cuts tile. Using a water-cooled tile saw allows you to cut tile accurately and quickly for a longer period of time.Can you use a wet saw to cut porcelain tile?
Porcelain tile is very hard and very difficult to cut. Cutting porcelain with a wet tile saw makes the job much easier. Porcelain can chip, even when using a wet tile saw. Before cutting porcelain, it is best to make sure you have a new blade. Some tile cutters use a two-step process when cutting porcelain tile to prevent chipping:
- Set the saw to a depth of 1/8 inch, not all the way through the tile.
- Place the tile on the table stand with the tile facing toward the saw blade.
- Slide the stand into the blade to make a shallow cut through the tile.
- Set the saw to cut all the way through the tile.
- Place the tile with the shallow cut up on the table stand and run the tile through the saw blade along the shallow cut to cut all the way through the tile.
Marble is a beautiful natural material, but it can be expensive and difficult to cut. Cutting it on a wet saw will make the job easier. Before cutting, be sure to measure and plan your cuts to avoid costly mistakes:
- Be sure to wear eye protection when cutting.
- Place the material on the saw and make sure the water pump is cooling the blade.
- Move the piece into the blade with slow, steady pressure. Do not force it through.
- After the cut is made, use nippers to carefully trip away any small jagged pieces off the edge.
- Use a grinder with a diamond bit to smooth the edges.