Vintage Car and Truck Exterior Mirrors
You can find an array of exterior mirrors to accompany your vintage or classic automobile, whether you're looking for a simple replacement or youre engaging in a full-scale restoration. You can find mirrors that match a range of makes, models, and production years. You can also opt for exterior mirrors that are original vintage pieces or replicas to accompany your classic model.How do you install vintage car or truck mirrors?
Buying new or vintage mirrors gives your automobile a new and improved style. To install your new or vintage exterior mirrors, follow these basic steps. Be sure to check your vehicle's owner manual, if applicable.
- Remove your old vintage mirror from the door by removing the screws.
- Attach the new one and screw it in.
- If your new mirror has an electrical component, reattach it.
- Before putting the parts back into place, be sure to test all the components.
Keeping your vintage car or truck clean is important. A part of making it look nice and showing off your style is making sure the mirrors are clean. Whether you are cleaning the ones you already have or washing vintage replacements, these cleaning methods should help.
- Materials needed: water, vinegar, rubbing alcohol, and microfiber towels.
- Try cleaning with plain water first.
- Pour equal amounts of vinegar and water into a spray bottle to make a diluted solution. Spray the vinegar solution and rub in a circular motion to remove the cloudiness.
- Dilute rubbing alcohol by pouring equal parts alcohol and water into a spray bottle. Spray and rub in circular motions to clear the stain.
- If the cloudiness persists, pour 1/4 cup alcohol, 1/4 cup vinegar, and 1 tablespoon of cornstarch into a spray bottle. Do not dilute the solution. Spray the solution and wipe clean.
The laws for having both side mirrors on a vehicle vary in every state. Most states require you to have at least two mirrors that let you see what's going on behind you. For safety issues, it is wise to have working mirrors on both sides of your vintage car or truck.How do you paint a side view mirror?
You may need to paint your side view mirror in order to match the colour of your vehicle and show an original vintage colour. The following steps can help you to refinish the exterior mirror:
- Clean the exterior with wax and grease remover. Then scuff the entire area with a scuff pad.
- Cover the glass and any other areas you do not wish to paint.
- Apply one or two coats of primer. Allow primer to dry.
- Paint it the desired colour. Allow paint to dry.
- Apply clearcoat, and remove masking once the clearcoat is dry.