We require all eBay members to provide up-to-date and accurate contact information, including name, address and phone number.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I report someone using false contact information?
To report a member who is using false contact information, please contact eBay with the member's username or email address.
How do I check to make sure my contact information is up-to-date?
If you think another member's contact information is false or incorrect, you don't need to report it to us. eBay has a number of systems in place to identify inaccurate contact details. If we detect any malicious behaviour, we'll take steps to address and prevent it.
Read our full policy
False or missing contact information policy overview
eBay members are required to provide accurate contact information such as their name, address, or telephone number when registering on eBay. eBay members are not allowed to use a fax or disconnected number as a telephone number.
Activity on eBay is required to follow this policy, the eBay User Agreement and all applicable laws, as well as respect the rights of third parties. If it doesn’t, eBay may take action consistent with applicable laws and the eBay User Agreement, and may even be legally required to do so. Such actions may include, as an example only: Removing the listing or other content, issuing a warning, restricting activity or account suspension.
What are the guidelines?Allowed
- Providing your correct name, address, and telephone number
- Keeping your contact information up-to-date. You can update your personal information - opens in new window or tab and address - opens in new window or tab in My eBay. Learn more about changing your account information
- Falsifying or omitting contact information such as a name, address, or telephone number
- Failing to register a contact name along with the business name, for a business account
- Using a fax number as a telephone number
- Using a disconnected telephone number
Why does eBay have this policy?
Buyers and sellers need to be able to communicate with each other. If you provide incorrect contact information, it makes it difficult for your buyer or seller to get in touch with you. This makes it more likely that you'll have problems like unpaid items, eBay Money Back Guarantee cases, and negative feedback.