What is the policy?
When a member wins an item, or uses Buy It Now to purchase an item, they must complete the purchase by sending full payment to the seller within 2 days. Buyers must note:
- The cost of shipping and handling, and all terms that the seller has included in the listing before deciding to purchase
- Bids can only be retracted under exceptional circumstances
A seller may open an unpaid item case in their Resolution Centre if the buyer does not pay or contact them within 2 days.
Managing unpaid items cases
- Sellers may close the case when a buyer has not paid within 4 days
- Sellers may be eligible to receive a final value fee credit, and if they relist the item, eBay may also refund the insertion fee for the relisting
- Buyers have the option of appealing an unpaid item if they believe it was undeserved
- Sellers should avoid falsely reporting unpaid items or they may:
- Have all credits reversed for the time period in question
- Lose the ability to use the final value fee credit system
- Be subject to suspension
- Unpaid items are considered a violation of our buying policies. All unpaid items are recorded on a buyer’s account. Buyers who have excessive unpaid items, or cancelled transactions, may have limits imposed, or lose their buying privileges.
- eBay will automatically remove feedback from a buyer who didn’t pay. However, if we missed something, buyers can contact us. Feedback may be removed when:
- The buyer didn’t pay or respond to the unpaid item process
- The buyer is suspended
- The buyer’s communication in the Resolution Centre undermines the purpose of the unpaid item process and feedback system
Listings that don’t follow these rules may be removed from the site or from search results. Other actions we may take include lowering a seller’s rating, charging additional fees, limiting buying and selling privileges, or suspending an account.
Why does eBay have this policy?
This policy ensures buyers follow our guidelines on purchasing items in order to protect sellers and maintain a fair and safe marketplace.