Most adult items are subject to some form of restriction or prohibition. We'll review the content of the listing description, images, and categories, to determine if an item is allowed.
What is the policy?
Sexually-oriented adult material is not allowed. This includes the following:
- Adult films and video games with a rating of X, XXX, R18 or unrated for an adults-only audience
- Adult magazines, books, comics, nudist publications or adult anime/manga that include sexually-explicit content, nudity, or sexual stories
- The following magazines and books can be listed as long as the listing and product don't contain nude images or explicit content: Playboy, Playgirl, Mayfair, and Penthouse
- Listings containing nudity (other than nude art)
- eBay defines nudity as male/female genitalia, anus, or female breasts where the areola or nipple is visible
Sex toys and sex accessories may be listed in the Health & Beauty > Health Care > Sexual Wellness categories following these guidelines:
- Sellers must be pre-approved. Seller accounts are automatically reviewed for pre-approval at the time of attempting to list in these categories
- Items must be new and in the original packaging
- Listings must not offer international shipping
- Listings must not include images of nudity or sexual content
Nude art listings must include the item specifics attribute Subject: Nudes, and can only be listed in these categories:
- Art categories
- Collectibles > Paper > Pin Up > Vintage (Pre-1970)
- Collectibles > Postcards > Non-Topographical Postcards
- Collectibles > Photographic Images > Photographs
Activity that doesn't follow eBay policy could result in a range of actions including for example: administratively ending or cancelling listings, hiding or demoting all listings from search results, lowering seller rating, buying or selling restrictions, and account suspension. All fees paid or payable in relation to listings or accounts on which we take any action will not be refunded or otherwise credited to your account.
Why does eBay have this policy?
We want to make adult items available to those who wish to purchase them and can do so legally, while preventing those who do not wish to view or purchase these items from easily accessing them.