Examples of avoiding fees includes making offers to buy or sell outside of eBay, requiring the buyer to make additional purchases, or charging excessive shipping fees.
What is the policy?
Sellers are prohibited from activities that avoid eBay fees, intentionally or not. This includes:
- Making offers to buy or sell outside of eBay
- Linking or promoting sites, items, or catalogs that can be used to order items outside of eBay
- Requiring a buyer to make additional purchases or to agree to terms outside of the listing
- Cancelling bids or ending a listing early because the desired price has not been met
- Charging excessive shipping and additional fees not already included in the price of the item, or passing seller fees on to the buyer
- Changing a listing duration more than 2 hours after submitting the listing
- Misusing the reserve price feature in a listing
- Listing items outside of the correct category
- Falsely cancelling orders using "Buyer hasn't paid" as a reason, or refusing payment at the end of a successful transaction
- Changing the information in a listing to sell a different item instead of listing a new item
- Selling completely different brands, models, or types of items as choice listings, such as:
- Selling different brands or models (for example, listing an iPhone 6 and iPhone 7 in the same listing)
- Selling items with different conditions such as “new” and “used”
Sellers are responsible for paying fees for all sales made using some or all eBay services, even if the sale terms are finalized, or payment is made outside of eBay.
Sellers are also responsible for Final Value Fees if they offer or reference their contact information, or ask for a buyer’s contact information, in the context of buying for selling outside of eBay, even if the item does not sell on eBay.
Activity that doesn't follow eBay policy could result in a range of actions including for example: administratively ending or cancelling listings, hiding or demoting all listings from search results, lowering seller rating, buying or selling restrictions, and account suspension. All fees paid or payable in relation to listings or accounts on which we take any action will not be refunded or otherwise credited to your account.
Why does eBay have this policy?
This policy protects buyers and sellers from purchases that aren’t eligible for eBay services such as eBay Buyer Protection.