As an eBay seller, you’ll receive your payouts in your linked chequing account. Verifying your details helps you avoid any delays in receiving your payouts.
We’ll verify your details when you register for a seller account, or if you update any relevant information on your account.
If we’re not able to verify your details, we may contact you for more information, or put a banner on your eBay account to let you know what action you need to take. You may not be able to receive your payouts until we verify your details.
Be sure to double-check your information is accurate before submitting it. This can avoid delays later on.
Choosing your payout currency
When registering as an eBay seller, business sellers have the option of choosing between Canadian dollars (CAD) or United States dollars (USD) as their payout currency. Once you’ve completed registration, you can't change your payout currency.
For more information on payout currency, see our article on getting paid for items you've sold.
Confirming your identity
To sell on eBay, we'll need to confirm your identity at registration. We may also need to confirm your identity at other times. If you’re a Registered Business seller, we’ll need to confirm information about your business, as well as any beneficial owners, officers, directors, or account managers.
Individual sellers (one person or a married couple) will need to provide:
- Full name
- Date of birth
- Social Insurance Number (optional)
If you're selling as a Registered Business (Cooperative/Corporation, General Partnership, Limited Partnership) you'll need to provide:
- Individual identification information for beneficial owners, officers, directors, or account managers
- Legal business name
- “Doing Business As” (DBA) name (if you have one)
- Business address
- Phone number
Providing proof of identification
In some cases, we may need you to send us a photo of a valid form of identification. We’ll send you an email, as well as place a banner on your account, as a reminder to let you know what we need, including instructions on how to upload the image.
We accept the following forms of valid identification:
- Driver’s licence
Uploading documents to eBay
When you’re uploading documents to eBay, the files you upload must follow eBay's guidelines. You should make sure the names on the documents match the names on your eBay account. Additionally, the files must be:
- In JPEG, JPG, PDF, or PNG format
- Visible from edge to edge, including all four corners - we may not be able to verify your details if the image is blurry or if information is cut off
- A maximum file size of 4 MB
- In colour
Verifying your banking details
To receive payouts, you’ll need to link your chequing account to your eBay account. It’s important to make sure that the names on both accounts match.
- For a personal account, your first name and last name should be the same on your chequing account and your eBay account
- For a business account, the business name associated with your chequing account should be the same as the business name you use to register on eBay
- For example, if the business name on your chequing account is “Joe’s Hobby Shop”, that’s the name you should use to register for your eBay business account
It’s also important to make sure that your account type on eBay matches your chequing account type. For example, if you have a business eBay account, you’ll need a business chequing account to register as a seller.
To verify your bank account, we'll need:
- Name on the bank account
- Bank name
- Transit number
- Financial institution number
- Account number
Once we verify your information, we’ll send you an email to let you know you’re set up.
If we can't verify your information, we may ask you to verify your linked chequing account another way, such as:
Logging into your bank
When verifying your account, if your bank is available in the Add a bank account list, you can select it and log in directly with your bank credentials. This is the fastest way to verify your chequing account.
Alternatively, you can verify your account using two microdeposits (small payments) sent to your linked chequing account.
Here’s how to verify your account using microdeposits:
- Sign in to Seller Hub - opens in new window or tab or My eBay - opens in new window or tab.
- Select the banner to verify your bank account.
- Select Verify with microdeposits.
- Once they’ve reached your account (1-3 business days), sign in to Seller Hub or My eBay.
- Select the banner to verify your bank account and enter the microdeposit amounts.
It can take up to 3 business days for microdeposits to reach your account, and we’ll email you to confirm they’ve arrived. The microdeposits will be withdrawn from your chequing account within a few days.
Don’t attempt to enter any amounts until the microdeposits have reached your chequing account as this could cause issues with verifying your account.
Providing your bank statement
If we can’t verify your linked chequing account using one of the methods above, you may need to send us a colour picture of a recent bank statement for that account. If we need this additional information, we’ll send you an email with instructions on how to upload the image.
Please make sure that the bank statement:
- Is for the account you’re trying to register
- Is for an account that belongs to you and shows your first and last name, or legal business name
- Shows the address of the account holder
- Is 3 months old or less
- Shows at least the last 4 digits of your bank account number
- If it’s a credit union account, include the last 4 digits of the account number and not the member number
- Contains the official letterhead of your bank
Your image can be in JPEG, JPG, PDF, or PNG format. The maximum file size is 4 MB.
If you don’t want to upload a bank statement, you can upload a voided cheque. Your name, bank name, routing number, and account number will need to be visible.