When you upload tracking information you provide your buyer with more confidence that their item will reach them, as well as a better buying experience overall. You're also protecting yourself in case your buyer doesn't receive the item and opens an eBay Money Back Guarantee request.
How to add, edit or delete tracking details
Once you've sent your item, you can add tracking details through My eBay or Seller Hub, whether your item was bought by an eBay member or a guest buyer. You can also edit or delete tracking details in the same place. Here's how:
- Go to the Sold section of My eBay.
- From More actions, select Add tracking number.
- Add, edit or delete the tracking number and the carrier.
- Select Submit.
- On the Seller Hub Orders page, go to Paid and shipped and find your order.
- Select the order by checking the box next to it.
- Select the Dispatch dropdown menu and then Add tracking number.
- Add, edit or delete the tracking number and the carrier, then select Save.
The buyer will then get an email with the order tracking details.
Marking an item as shipped
An item will be automatically 'marked as shipped' if you manually upload a tracking number. If you sent an item to a buyer using a different method and it is still not showing as shipped, here's how you can manually mark it as shipped:
If you're using Seller Hub:
- Go to the Awaiting shipment section of the Orders tab.
- Tick the Actions box beside the item you shipped.
- From the dropdown menu, select Mark as shipped
If you're using My eBay Selling:
- Go to the Selling overview section.
- Find the item you shipped.
- From the dropdown menu, select Mark as shipped.
Item not received requests
If a buyer opened an item not received request, the request will close automatically within 24 hours when tracking details show the item has been delivered to the buyer's postal code within the estimated delivery period.
Both you and the buyer will get an email notification. The buyer will be able to ask eBay to step in within that 24 hours if they still haven't received the item.
If you buy and print labels on Shippo, the order tracking number is uploaded automatically.
You can add tracking details for items you're sending internationally in exactly the same way as for domestic orders. Make sure you use a carrier that offers tracking.
As a seller, you're responsible for the safe delivery of your items to the buyer. So you might want to consider purchasing insurance, particularly for high value goods. You can purchase different types of insurance online—check with your shipping carrier to find the best coverage.
You can include the cost of insurance in your shipping rates, but you can't charge it as a separate cost.
You can find more information in our article on shipping insurance.