Saves some money rebuilding vs buying a new/remanufactured PS pump
Rebuilt my 1999 Toyota Camry 3.0L power steering pump with this kit. You'll need some type of vise grip to hold the pump in place while using a breaker bar, 24 mm spanner wrench, and 24 mm impact socket. A bench vise is preferable, but you can wing it with a drill press vise if you're really cheap for tools by using your weight and feet to hold down the pump. For the pulley, you may need a pulley holder to keep it from free wheeling while unbolting if the bench vise grip isn't strong enough. A heat gun might also be necessary if the 24 mm sized 'Pressure Port Union' won't easily budge. You will also need 10,12,14,17 mm?? sockets for various bolts, a rubber band to hold in the 'Vane Pump Plates' together with the 'Vane Pump Rotor' in disassembly, used toothbrush & sponge, rags/napkins/Scott Shop Paper Towels, Scrubbing Bubbles mega foam cleaner for outside degreasing/degrimming, blow dryer or heat gun to fast drying to prevent rust formation after cleaning, rubbing alcohol for cleaning interior surface seal stains, and power steering fluid for re-lubrication.
Brake fluid cleaner is not recommended especially after new seals are placed in due to its damaging drying agent to the rubber.
This kit includes gaskets, seals, o-rings, etc. for:
- Vane Pump Housing Oil Seal (for the 'Vane Pump Shaft' near the 'Vane Pump Pulley')
- Vane Pump Shaft Snap Ring (to lock the shaft moving side-to-side)
- A large and a small o-rings (for the 'Vane Pump Side Plate Rear')
- Gasket (for the front and rear 'Vane Pump Housings')
- O-ring (for the 'Pressure Port Union')
- O-ring (for the 'Power Steering Suction Port Union')
- Two copper crush washers (Optional replacement, for the banjo fitting feed hose connected the 'PS Suction Port Union')
Going rate for a re-manufactured (re-sealed) pump goes for about $60 on eBay, not including used pumps pulled out vehicles in accident. If you are working on your own car and don't already have a breaker bar, basic set of sockets and wrench, you'll spend about $20 on the drill press vise and $10 for 24 mm impact socket & spanner wrench.
Check 'tcmanual (dot) c0m' to see step by step instructions on how to disassemble.Read full review
Verified purchase: Yes | Condition: New