Item descriptions that don’t accurately describe your item can mislead buyers. To help avoid this, read our full policy below.
What is the policy?
- All content in a listing must be directly related to the item or the seller’s terms and conditions
- Item descriptions must be accurate and not mislead the buyer. For example, the Item Condition selected must match the item and should be consistent across all areas of the listing (title, description and item specifics). The following are not allowed:
- Symbols should be replaced with words (For example, Use "Copyright" instead of ©)
- Subscript, superscript, or other special characters
- Confusing or unclear titles or subtitles
- Item specifics must be accurate. When item specifics are required, they must be filled out completely. The following are not allowed:
- Use of inaccurate information such as "Does not apply," unbranded/generic, or "N/A" for required product identifiers (such as Brand, UPC, or MPN) when the manufacturer has provided that information for the product
- Including information that is not specific to that field, such as the brand of an item in the item specific for size
- Including terms in the wrong field of the listing
- Product details must match the item exactly when creating a listing using the eBay catalogue
- Items must be listed in the correct category
- Item descriptions must be in the primary language of the eBay site where the item is listed
Activity that doesn't follow eBay policy could result in a range of actions including for example: administratively ending or cancelling listings, hiding or demoting all listings from search results, lowering seller rating, buying or selling restrictions, and account suspension. All fees paid or payable in relation to listings or accounts on which we take any action will not be refunded or otherwise credited to your account.
Why does eBay have this policy?
When item descriptions are accurate, and in the primary language of the eBay site the item is listed on, buyers get a clear understanding of what the item is and any terms and conditions related to the item before they buy.