Once we step in, we'll review the details and get back to you and the buyer within 48 hours.
If eBay steps in to help with a return at any stage and the buyer returns the item used or damaged, you'll no longer be able to deduct an amount from the buyer's refund, even if you qualify under our seller protections.
When you can ask eBay to step in
Once the buyer has let you know that they have an issue, you have 3 business days to respond with a resolution. After that, if the matter hasn't been resolved, either of you can ask us to step in and help.
You don't have to ask us to step in immediately after the 3 business days though – if you're still working things through with the buyer, you generally have up to 21 business days after the request was opened to ask us for help.
If any issues come up after an item is returned to you, you'll be able to report the problem and ask us to step in and help.
How to ask us to step in
You can ask us to step in and help from Seller Hub or from My eBay Sold.
How to ask eBay to step in and help in Seller Hub
- Go to Orders - opens in new window or tab in Seller Hub and open the Returns or the Requests and disputes tab.
- Select See details next to the request.
- If you want us to help, select Report problem and follow the instructions from there.
How to ask eBay to step in and help in My eBay Sold
For help with a return request:
- Find the order in My eBay Sold - opens in new window or tab and select View return details.
- Select Report problem, and follow the instructions from there.
For help with an item not received request:
- Find the order in My eBay Sold - opens in new window or tab and select View request details.
- Select Ask eBay to step in and help, and follow the instructions from there.
Whenever possible, we recommend resolving your buyer's issue and not asking eBay to step in. If it's counted as a case closed without seller resolution, it may affect your seller performance level.
What happens after eBay steps in
We'll review the details of your case and will aim to resolve it in the fairest way possible. We normally come back with an answer within 48 hours, though occasionally it might take longer if we need more information.
Once we've found a resolution, we'll let you and the buyer know the outcome and anything else you need to do. For example, we may ask the buyer to return the item to you in these situations:
- We can't determine that the item received by the buyer matches the listing description
- You offer returns and your stated return policy applies
- You already offered to accept a return
If we determine that you've met your obligations to the buyer, the case will be closed and you won't need to do anything else.
If we determine that you are responsible for providing a refund to the buyer, we'll issue the refund and then seek reimbursement from you. You won't receive fee credits if this happens, and the case will be counted as "closed without seller resolution", which can affect your seller performance level.
For more information about how eBay decides the outcome of a case, see our eBay Money Back Guarantee policy.
If you don't agree with our resolution, you can appeal by providing new information within 30 calendar days of the case being closed.