Credit cards, Apple Pay, Google Pay, and PayPal are our recommended payment methods, but you can also offer buyers other payment methods. To help avoid issues with a transaction, we don't recommend accepting cash unless a buyer is paying on pickup.
How to avoid payment issues
There are additional protections you can use to make sure transactions are completed smoothly and help avoid payment issues. For example:
- eBay offers protection for items sold following the guidelines outlined in our seller protection article
- If a credit card payment is being reversed or can't be received, see our article on handling payment disputes and chargebacks for more information
- If you're selling high-priced items, you should consider using an escrow service
Ensure you're paid swiftly by requiring immediate payment when buyers use the Buy It Now option.
How to avoid scams and fraudulent payments
We want eBay to be a safe marketplace for all our members, so if you see something unusual or suspicious please let us know - opens in new window or tab.
Here are some things to look out for and what you should do:
- If you believe that a buyer paid or is attempting to pay with fraudulent funds or a stolen credit card, you can report it to us - opens in new window or tab. You should also contact law enforcement in the buyer's location. We'll cooperate fully with all law enforcement inquiries
- If a buyer sends a check or money order that can't be cashed, report them to us - opens in new window or tab. These payment methods are permitted only for certain categories and for local pickup – you'll find more information in our accepted payments policy
- You should never accept overpayments from buyers, especially if the buyer asks you to repay the overpayment. Requests like this are often part of a cashier's check scheme
One of our top priorities is protecting our members, so sales that start on eBay can't be completed off our site. Remember, if a sale is completed off eBay, neither buyers nor sellers are covered by our protection programs if something goes wrong, and you'll still need to pay fees.
If the buyer hasn't paid within 4 calendar days after the listing ended or from when they agreed to buy using Buy It Now, you can cancel the order.