General Product Safety Regulation (GPSR)


Effective December 13, 2024, the General Product Safety Regulation (GPSR) aims to ensure the sale of safe products to buyers in the European Union (EU) and Northern Ireland (NI). This regulation applies to both new and second-hand products sold in these markets, and it introduces specific requirements for businesses regarding product safety information.

What you need to know

To comply with the GPSR, all business sellers listing items for sale in the EU and NI must include the following information:

  1. The product manufacturer's name and contact information
  2. If the manufacturer isn’t located in the EU or NI, you’ll have to indicate an EU-based Responsible Person or entity, along with their name and contact details
  3. Any relevant product information like model number, pictures, type, and CE marking
  4. Product safety and compliance information like safety warnings, labels, and product manuals in the local language

We’ll be introducing new functionality in July 2024 so you can add this information to your listings. In the meantime, we recommend that you start collecting the necessary details to ensure compliance with the regulation when it takes effect later this year

Frequently Asked Questions

No, the General Product Safety Regulation only applies to products sold in the European Union (EU) and Northern Ireland (NI).

You’ll have to display any applicable instructions, warnings for safe use and disposal, and safety information for the product you’re selling. This information must be presented in the local language of the country where your item is being sold. You can include an image (a pictogram, a symbol, or a label), a statement (safety warnings or chemical hazard warnings), a product manual, or any other document that contains this information. The supported file formats are .pdf, .jpg, and .png. 

This information can be found on the product, on its packaging, or in any accompanying documents. You can also reach out to the product manufacturer if you don’t have this information.

The following products and categories are excluded from the General Product Safety Regulation:

  • Medicinal products
  • Food and feed products
  • Living animals and plants
  • Genetically modified organisms and microorganisms
  • Animal by-products
  • Plant protection products, also referred to as pesticides 
  • Plant and animal products related to their reproduction
  • Antiques
  • Aircrafts
  • Travel equipment operated by a service provider to transport consumers
  • Products that need to be repaired, reconditioned, or recycled prior to being used and are clearly marked as such

To learn more about the entire list of excluded categories, check out Article 2 of the GPSR.

Yes, the GPSR applies to items categorized as Collectibles.

The EU or NI-based Responsible Person is in charge of specific tasks related to compliance and product safety, including:

  • Checking that the EU declaration of conformity, CE marking, and other technical documentations are in order, and providing them to the market surveillance authorities to demonstrate the conformity of the product
  • Informing the market surveillance authorities about dangerous products and accidents through the EU Safety Business Gateway
  • Cooperating with the market surveillance authorities and ensuring the necessary actions are taken to rectify any non-compliance issues
  • Providing documented evidence of the checks that were performed, if requested by the authorities

The Responsible Person can be one of the following and must be located in the EU or NI:

  • The manufacturer 
  • An importer 
  • An authorized representative of the manufacturer
  • A  fulfillment service provider if the manufacturer, importer, and authorized representative aren’t based in the EU or NI

If you’re a seller, you can contact the manufacturer or your upstream supplier to obtain the name and contact details of the EU or NI-based Responsible Person.

If you’re a manufacturer or a brand owner that’s based outside the EU or NI and have a subsidiary in the EU or NI, or already have an EU or NI importer, it may be possible to appoint them as the Responsible Person for your products. You can also check with the testing laboratory or the certification company that you use, as they may assist you with assigning a Responsible Person.

We’re searching for external service providers that would support you with appointing an EU or NI-based Responsible Person. We’ll update this page and share more information when it’s available.